1 John 4:19

"we love because He loved us first."

Sunday, September 11, 2011

no one like You

"If God is for us, who could ever be against us." 
Romans 8:31
This morning my family and I turned on the news to watch as we remember September 11, 2001.  I will never forget exactly where I was and how I felt when I learned what was happening in New York City, and then Washington D.C., and lastly Pennsyvanilia.  


I was a Sophomore at Nolan Catholic and I was headed to History class.  On my way, one of my guy friends knocked me on the shoulder and said, "A plane flew threw a building in NYC."  I didn't believe him but as soon as I got to my class my teacher had on the news and I knew it was true.  We all watched as the second plane hit the second Twin Tower.  Our teacher tried to keep everyone calm, but everyone was scared.  What was happening?  How was this happening in America? Who was hurt?  Only a couple minutes later, I got a call from my Dad to come home.  I talked to him the whole way home.  My Mom was in Paris, France with a friend when the attacks happened.  We were so scared and worried for her safety.  I remember my Dad trying to talk with her and figure out the best way for her to get home.  She ended up staying there for a couple more days until airlines were cleared and it was safe (as we could tell) to fly again.  She made it home and we were so happy and thankful!!  But my story does not even compare to the thousands of people who lost someone that they loved dearly.  Or the stories of the heroes who saved lives from all the danger.  As an American we were all touched greatly by this horrific event.  I remember feeling angry and mad at the people who would bring so much pain to our country.  This morning as I watched the news all those same feelings were coming back to me.

A few hours later, in Church, Reverend Paul reminded me that I should pray for our enemies, for this is Christ-like.  I shouldn't condemn the wrong that was created, but instead do the opposite and pray that our enemies see that Jesus is the way and He is the peace they are longing.  
The scripture reading Matthew 5:43 states this perfectly.  

"You have heard that is was said, 'Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.  He causes his sun to rise on evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others?  Do not even pagans do that?  Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:43

This is so hard to do, especially when there is so much pain because of the events of 9/11.  But what if we prayed for our enemy and asked our Savior to bring peace and understanding to their hearts.  Instead of saying how horrible, should we be on our knees asking God to touch those peoples heart and free their demons?  This would be the Godly way to react.  

As America remembers this day, I can't help but feel sorrow for all the families who have been affected.  I will continue to pray for their peace and strength.  Also, I pray that God will bless America and protect us from harm so that we can further his Kingdom.  Just like what President George W. Bush said, ‎"Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th."  May this day bring America even closer together as one nation under God. 

We sang this song today and I couldn't help but cry and give thanks.  
Our God is greater, our God is stronger, and our God is higher than any other.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio