Last week, several times, I ate something that reminded me of my childhood. Which it turn, means that I was reminded of a lot of wonderful memories.
Funny, one of the things was a Jack N The Box taco and another was Mentos fruit chews. The tacos remind me of visiting my Nana and Papa in Dallas. We always stopped at Jack N The Box for tacos before hitting the mall for some shopping. The Mentos were my candy of choice while checking out at the all time favorite Casa Manana. We frequently visited this wonderful Mexican food restaurant growing up.
One thing that I love about my Mom is how she always plans meal-time as a special time. Growing up, no matter where we were or what our afternoon held, everyone had to be home by dinner time. All six of us would sit around a beautifully set table garnished with plates full of a well balanced meal (always a meat, starch, and vegetable) and reflect on our days. Funny stories were shared, history lessons from my Dad were taught, tears were cried - over who knows what, but most of all just time together sharing with each other. I will always cherish those dinners together. Now that Zach and I have started our little family of two, I try to keep up my Mom's tradition of making dinner time a special time with the ones you love.
This week it has been quite chilly in Dallas. I have been wanting to make a big pot of spicy chili, but didn't have a good recipe on hand, and Williams Sonoma has been sold out of their chili starter kit for a while now. Luckily, yesterday, during my calm and relaxing day, full of reading and napping, I randomly stumbled upon a chili recipe in the back of my January Southern Living. The pictures were of course mouth watering, and I knew I had to try it. I made it tonight and we both loved it! I cut the recipe in half (which is always scary) but it worked out great and we still have left overs. I served the chili with honey corn bread. Here is the full recipe below. Hope this warms up your homes and bellies too! Cheers to family dinners together :)
All dished up and ready to eat :)!
Mama's Way Chili
Makes: 8-10 servings
Hands-on time: 25 min
Total time: 2 hours and 30 min
2 lbs. ground chuck
1 medium chopped onion
3 minced garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 to 2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 (6oz.) can tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz.) can beef broth
1 (12 oz. bottle dark beer) I left this out, didn't have any...still yummy!
3 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce
2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce - I left out, didn't have...still yummy!
Lots of salt and pepper sprinkled in at end
Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally 8-10 minutes or until meat is done. Drain well and return to Dutch oven. Add chili powder and next 3 ingredients, cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 2 hours.


0 comments:
Post a Comment