1 John 4:19

"we love because He loved us first."

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

showers

I am making a Spring resolution....

Entertain or "shower" more guests at our home, having over friends and family. I am welcoming SpRiNg and savoring this season by opening up our doors and hosting some fun "get togethers". This past winter I read a book called Bittersweet by Shuana Niequist, see earlier post, one of the things I love about this book is how much the author talks about entertaining her friends. She makes it sound so easy.

When I think of having over company, I immediately think of all the things that need to be done before someone steps foot in our house; vacuum up dog hair, dust shelves, clean bathrooms, get flowers. Shuana writes that it should be easy and time that is free of judgements. She goes on to say that if the people you are having over are going to gossip about the center pieces or dog hair (ha!) then you probably don't want them to come over in the first place! So true! Also, she states that the more you do it, the easier it gets, and the more calm you will be when welcoming people into your home.

My Mom is probably the most amazing host I have ever seen. She is so calm and collected and thinks of everything! Not only does she have the meal out hot, but the flowers are beautiful (usually pulled last minute from her garden), the tables are gorgeous, and she is fun and actually a part of the party! I hope that with years of practice I can be half as good of a host as she is. I also have to add here that my Dad is a pretty great co-host :) Besides the fact that he is behind all the funding of a great time, he is also always in charge of the refreshments, and he does a mighty fine job at that! What would a party be without yummy drinks?! It's a big part :) Here is a cute drink, Sparkling Orange Ginger, I found today!

This is a shower that my Mom did, this is the table before the food and guests had arrived, but I thought it was so cute and creative! This shower was a sushi shower. We served sushi, an asian salad, and cabbage salad. The mini picture frames told the guest what each roll was. Everyone loved it! Oh and we had fortune cookies!

I just got my April issue of Southern Living. The front cover just screams "have people over!" I was so glad to see it. On the inside it goes on to give easy recipes and fun party ideas. I am going to use this magazine and my Mom as my coaches through this season :) Check out all this magazine and website have to offer, it's awesome! It shares that there are four main things that will make your entertaining a success. As long as you have these things all that's left is just good company. Everything else will fall into place.

1. Table Setting and Florals - this sets the mood of the party! Best part in my opinion!
2. Meal - make sure it is easy to make and easy to eat.
3. Drinks - always have two options mock and cocktail.
4. Music - playing softly in the background, just fills the air, not a must.

Two weeks ago we had over a couple and it was so much fun! The guys grilled outside and the girls made an easy salad. Our guests brought wine and we had some beer in the frig, everything just fell together, it was really easy. Before we new it, it was almost 11:30 on a week night and we had just been sitting outside enjoying time with great friends. A lot of times, it's just taking the effort to get it organized, the rest should be something to savor :)




1 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to come party at the Davis's!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio