1 John 4:19

"we love because He loved us first."

Monday, January 23, 2012

mom

Growing up I used to write just to write.  I really enjoyed it and now it is fun to pull out some of the stories and reread them.  Last month I was looking through some things and I came across this little story about my Mom.  This non fiction story is just a silly little glimpse into my each morning.

"I Feel Like Myself Again"

Every single morning my Mom would wake up, put on her long robe, and slowly walk to the coffee pot in our blue and white kitchen.  She would make the coffee and push start.  Then she would stand there in silence, barely moving while she got down her blue mug.  As a child, I would always wonder how in the world she could be so tired, considering I had been up watching cartoons for what seemed like forever (which was probably not even one shows length).  I remember watching her and listening to the coffee pot brew.  The smell of Folgers Original would fill the entire house.  I watched.  Finally just enough coffee had been made to fill one mug.  Mom would pull the pot out, while drips of coffee still fell from the filter, making a hissing crackly sound as it scorched against the hot burner.  She would take her first sip, coffee black.  It no doubt would burn her tongue, but I could tell she loved it.  Then it would happen, loud and clear with no hesitation, Mom would say, "I feel like myself again!"  I never understood what was in that mug of hot coffee, but she loved that first hot sip so much.  She was up and looked as though she could take on anything.  Hip Hip Horray she's up and about.  She smiles at me and my sisters and in the sweetest motherly voice she would say, "Rise and shine, let's give God the glory!"

Now that I'm an adult I totally can relate to her love for coffee.  It is definitely something I look forward to each morning.  And now when I take my first sip each morning not only do I get that kick of energy but I think of my sweet Momma and how positive she remains always.  She looks at every situation and sees the good.  I am so thankful that I have a Mom that shows me all the time what it means to be a Godly woman.  I remember the saying and say it to myself, "Rise and shine, and give God all the glory!"

Thanks for teaching me how to start each and every day, with my heart on Jesus.


"They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness."
Psalm 145:7


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio