1 John 4:19

"we love because He loved us first."

Monday, February 24, 2014

words

Hannah is really starting to talk.  Most of the time she is still doing that whinny nose when she wants something but I have been really strict lately with telling her to either sign or use her words when she wants something.  We have a LONG road to go, baby steps.  Every day is a new day and I can see she is learning so much.

Because she is starting to talk, I have been thinking a lot about the kind of words I use and my tone of voice.  She watches my every single move and I want to be the best model I can.  I pray pray for patience all the time so that I can handle daily tasks in a graceful manner and with a sweet loving tone.  (We all know this isn't always, but at least I'm making a conscious effort) ;)

Our sermon last Sunday was about marriage and more specifically fighting in your marriage.  I loved it.  It really opened my eyes on how I communicate with Zach and specific things I need to work on.  It also made me think about how I talk with friends and the sorts of things that we are talking about.  Am I being a Godly woman?  Are my words spreading Jesus' love to others?  Am I sharing all the goodness that I know awaits for us in Christ's kindgom?

Too often I leave a social event and worry about if I said something that might have offended someone.    Which means I probably have.  It is never intentional but I have been way too quick to speak and usually it is just my own advice or opinion that I share (which is probably not wanted, ha!)  I am really trying to be a good listener and not so fast to offer up my words.  This is a constant battle of mine and I know that I will always have to work on this skill.  Here are three verses that were shared in Church that I absolutely love and really hit close to home.

"My brothers and sisters, take not of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."  James 1:19

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions."  Proverbs 18:2

"In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."  Ephesians 4:26-27

So in closing, I am trying to be more careful with my words.  They are heard and never forgotten and each word needs to be used wisely.  I want Hannah to be a good listener also and to use her words wisely.  I guess we are all growing and changing day to day to be better people to serve God's kingdom.  This one thing has just been heavy on my heart and the Church service this week brought it even more to my attention :)  AMEN for that!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio